Sunday, June 19, 2011

Washington DC

It was suppose to be a relaxing weekend visit to our nation's capital. Instead, the visit almost started WW  IV (seeing how we're currently working on WW III) when we had a rather nasty confrontation with the saleswoman for Gray line Tours.  Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We were going to also book our night tour.  However, since there was such a ruckus about going to Mt. Vernon, we never bothered to return for the night tour. Plus, they don't pickup and drop off from the hotels anymore.  On a previous visit, they dropped me off at L'Enfant Metro Station at 10:00 PM to catch my ride back to Crystal City Metro; where I had to wait another 15 to 20 minutes for my shuttle back to the hotel in Arlington.


This past weekend, I brought my mother who has never visited Mt. Vernon before. The Mt. Vernon was perfect. It was a sunny, humid day. We even stopped briefly at Christ Church where the Washington's and the Lee's attended church.  This is a photo of the family pew once belonging to George & Martha Washington. The church was founded in 1776 (I think); which makes it older than my old Alma mater! Ha Ha Ha. Just don't tell them that.




We also checked out some other sites too including Washington's tomb. There wasn't much to see here, but it's interesting to think that on "resurrection day", the Lord would have to do some heavy lifting. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps the principalities of this world are trying to keep a lid shut on something eh? You'd have to understand Biblical prophesy in order to understand what I just wrote about. If you're a Muslim, your Quran probably doesn't explain what "resurrection day" means to many believers who died in Christ and those who preach it daily, AND everyone else including Muslims who follow their own beliefs outside of Christ will have to wait a little longer for "judgment day" because on that day, your deeds and works during your time here on earth will be judged by God; and God alone.


We stayed at a lovely hotel in downtown Washington DC.  The hotel is world renowned; made famous by its visiting dignitaries and infamous by a recent scandal about a former New York governor.  We had a marvelous time here.  Food was great, service was terrific; and our hair smelled great and looked nice, bouncy and fresh.


I've ridden on tour buses that passed by Chinatown, but never felt safe enough to venture on my own.  But, this time, we made the stop and walked around.  We noticed a couple of interesting restaurants to visit, but ran out of time.  Our flight into DC on Friday was canceled and transferred to another airline at a much later time; so, we lost a whole day of sightseeing.  That put us behind schedule.  We didn't have time to dine in Chinatown. 


We did manage a night tour with another tour company in town.  This tour picked up and dropped off at hotels.  We stopped by Lincoln and Jefferson memorials.  The photo is Jefferson Memorial.  Contrary to what we were taught during middle school in Charleston SC, Jefferson was indeed a US President.  I was disappointed to find out FDR memorial is still under renovation.  Twice, I've not been able to re-visit FDR.  It's one of the better ones to visit with a group at night. 



Now, this is what I call a decent looking diamond necklace.  Since I can't wear rings on my fingers (I lose and damage them too quickly), I wouldn't mind wearing a necklace like this one.  However, I kind of like the yellow diamond better after seeing one for the first time.  Wow!  so much glitter and glamour.  I think diamonds are a girl's best friend after all.  Hey, notice the bejeweled and bedazzled tiara on the right?

No comments:

Post a Comment